Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More rambling thoughts of a law school mommy

A woman in my ward that I play bunko with was telling me about a book called One L about a man and his experiance as a first year law student at Harvard. I was planning on getting this book from the library and was amazed to find that this incredibly generous woman MAILED me her own copy. I havent made it into the book very far, and from what I have gathered his experiance thus far is very similar to Josh's. I have decided to tell you a little more about my experiance as One L Wife and Mommy. Josh and I spent months trying to decide where we should go to law school. I will probably refer to his law school career as if it my own often times because much of the time I feel as if I am in it just as much as he is. We considered Vegas, a new school, but it came with a very generous scholarship. We considered the University of Utah. That's where family was, and it was something we'd be comfortable with. We considered George Washington and obviously eventually decided upon it. It was an opportunity we simply could not pass up, and we are still very thankful Josh has been blessed to study at such a great school. So...we uprooted our little family and moved across the county. It's been a little rocky, but not nearly as much as it could of been I think. I was thankful I would have my sweet little Henry to keep me busy. All in all, it was an adjustment to not only move across the country but to do it with a 3 week old baby. I almost immediatly felt though that I could do more good here. I would have the opportunity to become more involved in my ward, my calling, and my home. Since then I have had moments where I did feel like I would be more useful working....... Its hard sometimes to see the progress you make in your own home, with your children, and your household. It was easy to see my contribution when I was bringing home a paycheck, and helping provide for a family. It was easy to see that I was making a difference when my restaurant would increse in sales. But becoming a mommy wasnt like that right away and often times its still hard to see. But I know somewhere deep down inside me that I am doing the very more important thing that I can be doing. I spend every waking moment with my son. Talking to him, feeding him, bathing him, making sure he eats well, and sleeps well. I want him to always be comfortable and happy, and although it doesnt always feel like important work, and I so so so grateful Heavenly Father has entrusted one of his most precious children to me, and I hope that I wont let him down.
Wow....much rambling tonight. Time for bed....
Goodnight world!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Okay, I'm almost crying. You are so sweet, Christen. Ditto. Well said. You ARE doing an important work! SO, SO important! And I feel so lucky that we are doing pretty much the same thing at the same time in the same place!